Saturday, April 21, 2018

Andy's Birth Story: Part Two

Tuesday, August 19th
5:30 a.m.

Justin turned into the parking ramp at the hospital. I winced as each curve onto the next level intensified the pressure in my abdomen. We parked on the very top level, right by the landing pad for the Care Flight helicopter. A lot of memories came flooding back. We parked up there every day we visited Kate during her three month NICU stay.

Justin got the hospital bag out of the trunk, and helped me out of the van, slipping his free arm around my waist. I put my head on his shoulder. All I wanted to do was sleep.

We slowly ambled down the skywalk and onto the main level of Avera McKennan. I pushed the elevator button and leaned against the wall, trying to will my water to break.

Justin had to pull me into the elevator. It wasn't that I wasn't 125% ready to be done with this pregnancy, but I still really, really, really wanted a VBAC.

The elevator stopped on the third floor. We stepped out of the elevator and headed towards the locked doors of the Labor and Delivery unit. We had to pass NICU 3, the step-down unit on the way. I smiled a bit at Kate's former home.

The receptionist in L&D let us into the unit. A nurse led me into the first room on the left while Justin filled out some check-in paperwork and gave them my advance directive.

She hooked me up to the fetal monitor and started an IV in my right arm. A bag of fluids was attached, and she told me she'd run a healthy dose of antibiotics a little later. She went through all of the usual questions and we chatted a bit about the baby.



Justin came in a few minutes later, as the nurse said "Oh, it looks like you're having a few contractions!"

Justin raised his eyebrows and smiled. The nurse told us not to get too hopeful. I would have to progress into active labor at least a half an hour before the section for my OB to even consider letting me attempt a trial of labor. At that point, I resigned myself to the reality that I would not be leaving the hospital without a fresh incision.

6:30 a.m.

Justin was sitting in a chair next to my bed. I glared at him as my stomach flip flopped between nauseated and hungry. He was happily eating a bowl of Lucky Charms, completely oblivious. He's lucky he's cute.

My nurse came back in the room to hook up my antibiotics. She let us know I'd have several people in and out of the room for the next hour to discuss medical history, current health, and the procedure itself.

After I'd talked with the nurse anesthetist, the NICU team (present at all caesareans), a resident, and my OB, my nurse came in with a set of surgical scrubs for Justin to change into. While he changed, she washed my belly with yet another round of the fiery surgical soap of doom.

Justin came out of the bathroom in his new outfit. "I think the hairnet is the best part," he said. "Better than the ones at work!"



My nurse finished up with the surgical soap, dried my stomach, and said we would be headed to the operating room shortly. We asked for one of the hospital's chaplains to come to our room and pray with us before the section. We had done the same with Kate, and it really helped calm some of those pre-op nerves.

7:34 a.m.

When we were done praying, it was time to go to the OR. My nurse asked me if I wanted a wheelchair. I told her no, and that I preferred to walk while I still could!

Justin was left waiting just outside the OR doors. He gave me a quick kiss before they led me in to place my spinal block.

As soon as the doors closed behind me, I lost my breath for a moment. The last time I was in this room, was for Kate's emergency caesarean. I don't know if it was memories, my nerves, or a combination of both, but I got a little shaky, and needed help climbing onto the operating table.

The nurse anesthetist had me round my back as much as possible and lean into his assistant as he numbed my spine and prepared to insert the needle. There seemed to be a little more difficulty placing this spinal than the one I had placed with Kate. I had one bout of pain shoot up my spine, and the procedure took longer, but it was eventually placed effectively. I had forgotten how quickly the block begins working, and my legs had to be lifted up onto the table so I could lay flat.

7:48 a.m.

The team in the OR strapped down my arms, put up the drape, started oxygen, and inserted a catheter. The resident poked me in several places to make sure I was completely numb. Then, Justin was finally allowed to come in. He sat down on a stool by my head and asked how I was feeling. I stuck out my tongue.

I was already nauseated from the anesthesia at that point. The anesthetist pushed Zofran into my IV and stuck an alcohol swab under my nose. The blood pressure cuff squeezed my arm for a final reading before my OB made the initial incision.



We chatted with the OR team members that were above the drape, including one of Kate's NICU nurses who happened to be on the NICU team that day. It was nice to have so many familiar faces in the room.

A few minutes later, I knew we must be getting close. My nausea was just on the edge of turning to projectile vomit, and I started having some abdominal pain. Justin put his hand on my head while more Zofran was pushed into my IV. I hesitated on consenting to morphine, because I knew it might make my nausea worse. I eventually gave in, because the pain was that bad. I don't care what anyone says, caesareans hurt!

The pain subsided quickly, so I turned my focus to trying not to vomit. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in...

Then, all of a sudden, I heard my doctor exclaim "Hi, little guy!"

1 comment:

  1. Is there a Part III? Keep tagging me. I so love reading and a lot has to do with your writing style. Anyway, from one mother of two caesareans out of three children I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. Blessings.... for you, rainbow baby and your family... write on.

    ReplyDelete