Saturday, April 21, 2018

Andy's Birth Story: Part Three

Tuesday, August 19th
8:03 a.m.

Justin stood up just in time to see my OB pull Andy's little head out of my incision. A nurse suctioned his mouth and nose while my doctor continued to deliver him.


When he was out, I had a feeling something was wrong. They didn't lift him over the drape for me to see before cleaning him up and doing weight, vitals, and his APGAR score. I didn't hear a cry. Even Kate had cried.

I stayed quiet, not wanting to distract those working on Andy with frantic questions, but my heart was pounding. All I could see from my flat position on the operating table was a screen connected to a camera that was focused on the incubator, and the incubator itself, but the NICU team was constantly back and forth between Andy and myself, so my view was obstructed.


I heard one NICU nurse shout Andy's weight and length to another. Six pounds, thirteen ounces, twenty and one half inches long. From what I could see, it appeared they were rubbing him down with blankets to stimulate breathing. I didn't learn until this past fall that his umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck.

I sent Justin over to get a closer look. He took a few pictures but didn't say anything. Then, after what seemed like ages, I heard that first cry. Instant relief. Andy let out a couple of loud wails before transitioning to a soft whimper, and then fell asleep.


The NICU nurse that had cared for Kate during her stay came over to me. "He's doing okay," she said slowly.

"So no NICU?" I asked, concerned.

"For now," she replied. "We're going to have to keep an eye on him. But he can stay with you for now."

She saw the tears welling up in my eyes. Another baby with a rough start. I felt like such a failure.

"Remember, he's a little bit early. This isn't all that uncommon. It'll be alright," the nurse told me before she went back to the incubator.

After another stretch of eternity, I heard one of the NICU team members say she was going to get Andy swaddled up so Justin could bring him over to me. I watched Justin scoop up our brand new bundle and carefully walk toward me.

"Here he is!" Justin was beaming with pride. My arms were still strapped down, so I couldn't hold him just yet. Justin lowered him down by my face so I could kiss his little cheeks.

"Hi baby boy," I practically yelled. "I'll hold you soon, I promise!" Justin snapped our first picture with Andy before I went back to staring at him. I was in awe of how "big" he was compared to Kate!


NICU nurses came by every few minutes to evaluate his breathing and color while my placenta was delivered and I was stitched back up. My nausea was gone the instant the placenta was out of me.

Finally, the surgery was complete! They removed my oxygen, unstrapped my arms, and moved me into a bed. Then, Justin placed Andy is my arms.


If I could, I would describe to you the incredible feeling of getting to hold your child for the first time, but I can't. I don't have any words. I can only say that it is one of the most beautiful, overwhelming moments in life.

I snuggled him in close, and held him tight for hours.

12:00 p.m.

After a few hours in recovery, I was moved upstairs to the Women's Center, the post-partum unit. Nurses continued to monitor Andy and me, watching especially closely for respiratory distress in him, and signs of post-partum preeclampsia for me. Eventually, my catheter was removed and I was allowed to get up and move around. I took a shower and finally got to eat!

Later, Andy had his first bath, which he hated, but bath time has definitely grown on him since then. In fact, water is now one of his favorite things, especially when he can splash it on people! Unfortunately, during his very first experience with water in the outside world, he showed off his future singer lungs for the duration of the bath.


---

The remainder of our time in the hospital was filled with snuggles, great food (seriously, the food in the Women's Center bistro is amazing), and visits from so many of our loved ones.




Andy did not end up needing the NICU, as his breathing troubles resolved on their own. He was a champion breastfeeder, and my milk came in very quickly. The only issue he had was a bit of jaundice that went away after a few hours under the bili-lights in the well-baby nursery.


We were discharged from Avera McKennan on Friday, August 22nd. What an amazing feeling it was to be able to take our baby home with us! Don't take that wheelchair ride to the front door, baby in your arms, for granted. It is a rite of passage not every woman gets to experience.



Less than a week after returning home, I developed post-partum preeclampsia. I was admitted to the hospital in our small town for a few days. Thankfully, I responded to the medication quickly, and was able to avoid a transfer back to Sioux Falls. It was not fun to be stuck in the hospital those early days of Andy's life. I wasn't able to breastfeed during that time because of the magnesium sulfate, and the swelling was extremely painful, but I got to have Justin, Kate, and my sweet little boy with me the entire time.


Today, Andy is a happy, silly, and loving three-year-old. He loves playing in water, watching Thomas the Tank Engine and Cat in the Hat, eating cheese and crackers, playing percussion instruments, and cuddling. He has already been through so much in his short life, including being diagnosed with tree nut allergies, level one autism with savant syndrome (formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome), and avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder.

Like his big sister, he has a resilient spirit, and a heart of gold. We are so excited to watch him continue to learn and grow, and we can't wait to see him take on the big brother role with the birth of our next child, who will be arriving very, very soon.

Andy is one special little boy, and we are so blessed to be his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment